Thank you for contacting Roma Races and even getting to this page (kudos for effort).
We like to talk to you, we really do. Keep in mind that there are not many of us on the end of the phone and come Race Day, we can be a teeny bit busy (think headless chooks). So if we are snippy on the phone, it might be because the information is already up on this website for your perusing pleasure. Emails will always be answered and we can send lots of cool stuff that way too (invitations, links, packages, programs and the odd photo). Message us and we will endeavour to respond asap, as politely as possible with as much charm as we can muster. Keep in mind in this industry, we work from a low base.
Email us at Roma Turf Club – firstname.lastname@example.org
Or message us from the Facebook page romaturfclub
HOWEVER……. Before you do, have a look at the questions below, it may help and if it doesnt, we can assure you there are no stupid questions ( we reserve judgement on the proposer), just ring and we will eventually find an answer for you.
- Yes, we are a long way from a city (6 hours on a First World Highway with a few third world potholes) but you can see stars, yes it will be hot and yes we are very hospitable in the country and there are ATMs, intermittent phone reception and running water.
- We do have camping, both the Glam way (see tentcity hire info) and in the back of a ute, swag with your own blow up swimming pool. No bookings at all, first in best dressed. Get here early for the spots under a shady tree. Bring your own leads to plug in anything, limited power available. Showers, toilets, hair drying and straightener plugs and mirrors which are guaranteed to make you look as fabulous as possible under the fluorescent light.
- We have free buses all day saturday only – picking up and delivering back to all accommodation places around town from 10.30am to 2am the next morning. Just stand on the footpath outside your accommodation and flag down the roma cup bus.
- Entertainment and BBQ is free for all campers and mates on Friday night at Bassett Park. So is the breathalyser on sunday morning. Use it, our coppers will love you for it.
- Yes, it is the country but YES, we do frock up. Hats, heels, ties, safari suits, hair product. We like to see you making an effort. Bring your flatties for the dancing at night.
- Your gate entry ticket allows you into the park for as long as we are open, after party included.
- We are a mid-strength event from 6pm. Pace yourselves.
- We will have a security lodgement point at the drink ticket stand. We have enough lost property on file now and don’t need anymore phones, hats, shoes, wallets, fascinators or other objects which vary from bizarre to downright disgusting. So, you lodge it with us on raceday, at the drink ticket stand, we will do our best to keep it safe til you are capable of looking after it yourself.
- Can I give my tickets booked in my name to someone else? Yep, we are non-discriminatory, our scanning system just recognises the bar code and the actual ticket, from Joe Blow to Attila The Hun, we will let you in. Once.
- Can we bring our own picnic, drinks on raceday? Yes and No. We don’t mind you bringing in your special beetroot and pomegranate sushi on the day, as long as it is not in an esky. We do mind if you bring in drinks (come on, we have to make a living somehow) and Liquor Licensing says we are the only ones responsible for your consumption on the premises, dont make us chuck you out.
- Can I smoke at the Park? We generally have some designated smoking areas even though Bassett Park, as a sporting arena, is a no smoking zone. If we see you smoking outside of those areas we will assume you are on fire.
- Does my entry ticket cover me for the after party til 2am on Sunday morning? Definitely. Once you are in the Bassett Park and have your 18s ID checked, you can stay or come and go as you please. In fact you would be silly to leave. Best value music, entertainment and social company anywhere for $25. Of course, if you are under 18, you are going to have an early night as we have to exit you around 7pm. AND you will not be allowed on the park unless you have a guardian or parent with you. (this excludes of -age boyfriends, best mates, some random bloke you picked up at the taxi rank and paid to come in with you) We are protecting your sensitive pre-frontal cortex until you are fully mature. Come back and see us at 18 or maturity, whichever comes first.
For information on racing in general, try HorseRacing.com.au
Roma Picnic Race Club Inc
ABN 35 266 400 440
PO Box 532 ROMA QLD 4455
Mobile: 0409 898 623
Fax: Gave this up when Miley Cyrus started shaving. Try scan and email